A Boston original since 1927

History

Our historic Boston hotel is part of the fabric of our city.

Construction on the Boston Park Plaza Hotel began in 1925. E.M. Statler, a visionary in hospitality and business, opened the hotel on March 10, 1927 as “The Statler Hotel.” For five decades, it was the largest independent hotel in New England and eighth largest hotel in the world.

Statler chose the address for its “location, location, location.” Where the hotel now stands was once beachfront property where British troops landed to embark for the Battle of Lexington. The bay was later filled in to form what is now known as Boston's Back Bay.

Boston Park Plaza has been a destination for Presidents since it opened, and all but two US Presidents in that time have stayed here.

A hotel of firsts

The hotel was the first to introduce many new and modern hotel conveniences.

  • It was the first hotel to put radios in every room.
  • The hotel was first to provide guestrooms with built-in closets.
  • It was the first to provide individual telephones in every room and reading lamps over the beds.
  • Mail chutes in each floor were first seen at this hotel, and it was the first to provide overnight, in-house laundry for guests.  

Recently, Boston Park Plaza has undergone an extensive renovation and refurbishment, making it once again one of the most sought-after hotels in Back Bay Boston. As its originator and founder knew more than 90 years ago, location and service define an exceptional property. And now, as then, when travelers ask where to stay in Boston, The Boston Park Plaza is the first choice. It was, and remains Boston’s Most Beloved.